Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Jazz: The End Take

       
I have always been decently musical my whole life, and jazz was a genre I was really taking an interest in. Upon taking the class, most of the readings were quite interesting and not dull. I had hoped that this class was just as thrilling and exciting, and demanded more attention on different songs and artists. Of course, I wanted to learn about the cities that influenced jazz, but I was more interested on important artists such as Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Lionel Hampton, and Stan Getz, and their specific songs that changed the styles of jazz.
            My assumptions before taking this class were somewhat revised. Although learning about Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, and Thelonious Monk was super interesting, I found that most of what I learned was the social and cultural aspect to jazz. Rather than focusing mainly on artists, the class structured around city’s and styles of jazz. The different, distinct sounds were definitely awe-striking as they were pertinent to the lifestyle at their times, such as the blues from work songs and stride from Harlem. San Juan Hill was a battlefield between all sorts of races in New York, but each culture’s diversity brought the great, robust tradition of New York jazz. I found that it is not rather so much the artists themselves, but the cities that connected their musicality that incorporated our understanding of the history of jazz.
After taking this class, I understood that jazz is completely American, not just African-American. I had a pre-conceived notion that jazz was based solely on Black principles and that white people who tried to play jazz were only trying to pretend to understand the pain and suffering of African Americans. Although parts of my pre-knowledge are true, jazz did not form only through African-Americans; rather it was a process called syncretism that incorporated most of jazz’s original principles. Some scholars believe that jazz was the African style of playing European music. But really, it was the blues from the slaves and ragtime from the Creoles that created our understanding of jazz.
And jazz continually developed. In Chicago, soloing and improvisation became important to sustaining a jazz lifestyle. Racism and prejudice separated social classes and presented different methods to performing jazz. In fact, even the social aspect to the cities such as Kansas City incorporated an element of atmosphere where jazz was interchangeable with gambling, bootlegging, and prostitution; basically sex. Jazz was rebellious, a pop culture spread through radio, and a boiling pot of many cultures. Basically, it was an American genre of music. And that is exactly what is so intriguing and exciting about jazz! The pure form developed from America relating to mixing of cultures that initially started with an African music and dance tradition. Thus, I have a deeper appreciation of jazz, as it represents my homeland. Plus, it’s super catchy and danceable.

2 comments:

  1. I am not usually overly critical when it comes to these blogs, but several of your sentences don't make clear sense to me. Sentences like "After taking this class, I understood that jazz is completely American, not just African-American." and "... with gambling, bootlegging, and prostitution; basically sex" are grammatically weak and cause confusion in the flow of reading. I have found that reading my blogs out loud (much like the way Mr. Haddow probably does) can help the proofreading process. Sorry for being so harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the overall concept of your blog. However, I do think your blog sounded more like a summary of the course instead of picking one concept. I liked the enthusiasm you conveyed through your tone and it seems as if you enjoyed the course. Also identifying jazz as American music because of the fusion of cultures going on is something I really enjoyed because I often view jazz as being truly American for the same reasons. Good job.

    ReplyDelete